Just got Optik TV installed and Telus upgraded my Speed Touch modem with their new Optik TV Actiontec V1000H router. I had a Linksys E2000 all configured and really didn’t feel like switching so I wanted to hook them up. Unfortunately it is not just a matter of plug and play. You have to play with configurations.
- Login to the Actiontec router admin panel at 192.168.1.254. The default username is admin and password is telus. Note the router will likely ask you to change the default password the first time around.
- Disable the wireless by click on Wireless Setup and selecting “Disable” for Wireless Radio and clicking Apply. Note this step maybe optional. I’ll need to test that further.
- Login to your own router and change the range of IP addresses to another range. 172.16.0.x for example. On the Linksys E2000, that’s right on the first page (Setup | Basic Setup)
- Go back to Actiontec router admin panel and click on Firewall button at the top
- Click on DMZ hosting on the left
- Click on “Enable” on the Set the DMZ state section.
- Enter the IP address chosen for your own router in step 3 above under “Select device”. Leave the pull down as “Manually Enter IP”.
- Click Apply
- Connect your own router to one of the regular ports in the Actiontec router. Don’t connect to WAN port.
- Reboot your own router
- You should be all set
Note: There are likely extra reboots involved in some of those steps. Just follow the instructions from the router and do wait for those reboots to be completed before proceeding to the next step.
This post was brought to you by 14 Oranges – your mobile app development experts in Vancouver